Sunday, February 1, 2015

Railstutorial, first chapter

I had some spare time today, so I finally got started with the fantastic guy to Ruby on Rails at https://www.railstutorial.org.  I've tried to get started before, but since I'm a bit of a masochist, I've decided to do everything on my raspberry pi.

My last attempt to get started, I told my raspberry pi to install ruby, and it had to build from source.  I left it churn away over night, and that was eventually completed.

Today, I told it to install the rails version specified in the tutorial, and well....

This is what I saw after My wife and I woke up at 3:30 to watch the Australian Open.

While watching, I was able to work my way though the first chapter, deploy locally (to my raspberry pi), to 'production' to a heroku account.

So far it's all been about infrastructure, so I'm looking forward to chapter 2, where you start the 'toy' app so I can begin to see how ruby and rails really work together!

No comments:

Post a Comment